St. Colman’s Cathedral
The carillon is located in St. Colman’s Cathedral, overlooking Cobh town and Cork Harbour. It was begun in 1914 as a chime of 16 bells by J. Taylor & Co, with one more added soon after. In 1916-17, it became a 42-bell carillon with the addition of 25 trebles, also cast by Taylor’s. The bass bell weighing 67 cwts (3439 kg) was originally hung for ringing, though perhaps never used as such. In 1948 Gillett & Johnston rehung all the bells in a new frame with a new transmission. Five more trebles were added by Taylor’s in 1958, making a total of 47 bells (four octaves missing two bass semitones). In 1998 the carillon was again rebuilt with a new frame, and a new clavier was placed in the belfry. At the same time the two missing bass semitones were added, making the present fully chromatic four octave instrument of 49 bells. All this work was carried out by the Royal Eijsbouts foundry.
Recitals take place on Sundays at 16:30 from May to September.
A closed-circuit system is in operation showing the carillonneur playing the instrument. This can be viewed inside the Cathedral at the base of the tower – turn right as you enter through the main door.
A new compact disc of the Carillon of St Colman’s Cathedral is now available. This was produced in collaboration with University College Cork.
An introduction to the Cobh carillon can be found on YouTube
Bells: 49 (four octaves fully chromatic)
Heaviest bell: pitched to A, 67 cwt, 2 qr, 22 lb (3439 kg)
Transposition: down 3 semitones (bottom note of clavier is C)
Practice clavier: there is an identical practice clavier
1914, 1916, 1917 J. Taylor & Co.
1948 Gillett & Johnston, 1958 J. Taylor & Co, 1998 Eijsbouts
Website: St Colman’s Carillon
Carillonneur: Adrian Gebruers
St Colman’s Cathedral